Monday, January 21, 2013

El Cumpleaños de las Gemelas y mi Segunda Día


Today I woke up and it took me a minute to realize where I was. I was dreaming (I already forget what about…) but I’m sure it took place in the U.S. and it was very strange when I realized I was in Spain – not necessarily a good or bad feeling… just strange.

I walk out of my room and Leire is already eating at the breakfast table. I think because I’m all smiles right now the kiddos are too. Jon even asked “porque siempre estas sonriendo”. Why are you always smiling? I wasn’t hungry for breakfast this morning… I’m not a huge breakfast person… so I said I probably wouldn’t eat anything this morning (emphasizing that it was just today that I wouldn’t be hungry). The kids – I could tell – are very accustomed to eating breakfast even if they do not want to… so when I said I wasn’t going to have anything Joseba immediately said “but ONLY today” and went on to pretend to lecture me on the importance of breakfast. I took a mental note to make sure to eat with them… Gotta lead by example right?

After breakfast we got the kids dressed and walked to school. Jon walked solo and Iciar and I each took one of the gemelas (twins) hands. The walk takes about 10 minutes… mainly because the kids like to dilly dally.

One thing I realized on the walk over that made me excited is that this experience is going to be mas como si fuera de Bilbao. (more like if I was from Bilbao). While we were walking to school we were stopped or spoke briefly to at least 5 people. In Sevilla I was very obviously a tourist and I acted that way as well. Here I will be with the kids or the parents and (hopefully at some point – friends) almost always so I’ll constantly be surrounded by people who are from here. I like that.

After the parents take their kids to their respective classes’ meeting points, they all stand in this big line. As we were leaving I was really confused what they were waiting for and I realize they all drop off their kids and then wait again for the kids classes to walk by so they can wave by. It was REALLY cute. I made sure to give both the girls high-fives as they walked by and yell Happy Birthday. They were in 7th heave with all their snacks and birthday things. On the walk to school LEire kept telling people “Mi cumpleanos sin dientes!” because she recently lost a tooth she kept saying “This is my birthday without teeth!” proudly smiling at everyone who wished her happy birthday. 

After that Iciar and I went and tomamos un café con leche (had coffee with milk). Then we did a big vuelta (dar una vuelta – take a walk) around Bilbao. She showed me the Museum de Bellas Artes, the Guggenheim Museum, the old Theatre, the Plaza Nueva, the Gran Via – where all the stores are. We also went to Corte Ingles (the main/probably only department store in Bilbao). I love Corte Ingles… They had those in Sevilla. It’s a HUGE department store that has EVERYTHING you could possibly ever need. It’s a little bit more expensive than some American department stores but it really is amazing how much stuff they have. I wanted to buy a hair wand there but it was 37 euros and so I decided to look around. If I can’t find another one I’ll go back and get it sometime this week.

Iciar and I also went to get pinchos (pinxos) – I think that is how you spell it. It’s similar to the tapas in Sevilla. Pinxos are really just small snacks. Each one costs between one and a few euros and you usually eat them when getting a drink or a coffee or something. They can be very simple – a little montadito of ham and bread or they can be really strange… I tried one with ham and bread, a little tuna sandwich type one, and one tortilla de patata.  They were all good. That will probably be my lunch on the days I don’t come home for lunch…  Just get a drink and two or three of those to tide me over until dinner.

After pinxos we came home and I met Maria Elena – the woman who irons and does some of the household work. She is from Nicaragua so we had a lot to talk about. I spent two summers in Nicarague with Amigos so we got to talk about all the food and slang from Nicaragua. I think we both enjoyed it a lot…

Then we went to the school and picked up the kids, which was somewhat of an ordeal. It was pretty fun because I was introduced to about 15 women and all of their kids. The twins were pulling me around left and right introducing me to their friends. Jon kept strangling me with my scarf. We’re going to have to kick that habit cold turkey…

Both of the girls had received drawings from every kid in their two classes and had them all bound together like a book and I think they each showed Jon every single drawing after leaving the school before arriving at the house… It was a long walk home today haha.

When we got home we played and drew pictures. Maia drew me a picture of the family and copied my “happy birthday”. She put me in the family picture right next to her which made me feel great. Then Leire put on a magic show for me. They have this cute little box of magic tricks and outfits. They even say “abracadabra” in a cute little Spanish accent… She did a few card tricks and she pulled a bunny out of her top hat.

Then I met Iciar’s mom, dad, and sister who were all very nice. It’s always gratifying to hear I speak Spanish very well after all I went through to learn it haha. We had pizza, tortilla de patatas, anchoas, pan con pata, y chorizo for dinner. I had to try the anchovies because they explained to me in serious detail how difficult it was to make them and … I didn’t hate them. Which was a big surprise.

After dinner I hung out with the kiddos in the living room and did Leire’s hair and  just laid around with them on the couch. Leire and I had matching French braids. I ahd to make sure to pay extra attention to Maia after braiding Leire’s hair because I can’t braid Maia’s. And Jon needed extra extra attention because he felt very very left out all day.  A temper tantrum or two may have been thrown today. Despite the occasional cry (literal cry…) for attention, these kids are so loving.. constantly smiling and joking and giving lots of hugs. It’s literally only my first full day and I can already tell I am going to have a VERY very VERY difficult time leaving…


Tomorrow is my first day somewhat on my own! I’m excited for that. Also Joseba told me today he is going to give me one of his free invitations to his gym (a very nice and pretty expensive gym…) on Thursday and he is going to be my trainer that day. I’m excited… and nervous haha. It should be fun!

Maia - la gran artista

Leire - la mago

Making Monster High bracelets... Jon asked if he could make one to which Leire quickly said "claro que si, puedes usar los mios" - of course, you can use mine. Then Maia said " si, si y usa los mios tambien" - yes yes use mine too... I don't know about you guys but Charlie and I were not near as sweet with our new toys.. haah

having fun!


The birthday girls!

Otra vez


No comments:

Post a Comment